Overview of Our Training Programmes
(Please click the sidebar for detailed information on our various training programmes)
- Anaesthesia forms part of the core curriculum for the degree MBChB and consists of a clinical rotation and formal lectures in undergraduate students' fourth year of study.
- Specialist training consists of a four-year structured clinical programme in anaesthesia, with tuition in preparation for the Part 1 and Part 2 examinations for the Fellowship of the College of Anaesthetists (FCA). In addition all registrars must complete a research project for the requirements of the degree of Master of Medicine (MMed) in Anaesthesia awarded by the University of Cape Town.
- In addition, the department offers courses in preparation for the Diploma in Anaesthesia (DA) of the Colleges of Medicine
- An annual intensive week-long refresher course is hosted in May / June alternating every two years between the Part 1 and Part 2 FCA examinations.
- The department offers regular courses including regional anaesthesia workshops, training in transoesophageal echocardiography (TOE) for both registrars and registered specialists.